Sunday 13 November 2011

Living In A Sitcom Or Why Do These Things Happen To Me?

The other night a friend of mine made an observation about sitcoms (The Inbetweeners in particular), saying he doesn't know how they get the ideas for the banal and ridiculous situations. I told him it's just life, and we all live in sitcoms, we just don't realise it half the time. He needed an example, so I reminded him how only last week he ate half a take away box (the type you get your cheesy chips and burgers in), because I said I'd give him a tenner if he did. They're really difficult to get down, from the look of it.
To be fair he isn't the only one; I have another friend who regularly eats things on nights out too (he ate a plant long before Will from the Inbetweeners ever did). I only had to pay him a pound as well.

You don't need to be drunk though; I remember being in Pizza Hut once with my brother, and while he was queuing for the all you can eat buffet, someone in front took the last 4 slices of a certain pizza. My brother, being less than impressed, decided he'd get back infront of the guy later on, and rather than taking all the slices of the replacement pizza, he decided to produce a makeshift over glove with his top and pick up the entire base the pizza comes in and bring it back to the table. We were asked to leave.

Then there's just the awkward embarassing moments that seem to regularly occur; One night out when I was 19 I'd been chatting up some girl, she seemed nice and I would have liked to have met her again. Anyway the next day I had a doctor's appointment about a certain area (No before anyone asks, I drink yakult, I am disease free). The doctor asked if it would be okay for a student nurse to be present. I didn't really think about the question and said yes... Well guess who the student nurse was... To be fair I normally have to fork out quite a bit on drinks to get people to look at 'that', so I shouldn't complain. Though of course we didn't meet again...

Now I'd like to say that these sort of events are rare occurrences, but I'd be kidding myself. Cause not a week goes by where something ridiculous doesn't happen to one (or even all) of me and my close friends (in the last month alone there have been incidents involving a corkscrew, a polish man's front door, the fourth best brand of red wine available, half price stickers and a baby, an angry woman at a zebra crossing and a nightclub toilet door). So if you want to know where writers get their ideas for sitcoms, have a look at your own life and think about all the ridiculous moments that happen on a day to day basis, cause that's all they do; they observe. Unless it's just me and my friends... but it can't be, can it?

No comments:

Post a Comment